Skip to main content

You have the right to remain silent...

How did we get to a place where expressing an opposite opinion results in a defiant "I have a right to my views" response. So much fuss about rights. You have a right to express your opinion, and I have a right to not like it. Who is taking about taking away rights. Someone just told me recently that Trump has a right to his views on illegal immigration.  I gave a perplexed response and finally responded.  "So. He has a right to think whatever he wants and I have a right to think he's a bigot." At no time have I questioned his right to be a bad person. This happens in relationships, too. Someone tells their partner something and the partner responds with a different view. The response is often "I have a right to my feelings." We need to get back to the time when expression of differences is not seen as an assault on some right to one's own views. Happy Weekend.

Comments